09.00 – 10:00 Pre-event Optional Workshop –
Introduction to Newcastle University Careers Service, King’s Gate, L1.26.
Chris Traynor (Guidance Team Manager), Claire Adamson (START UP Manager), Anna Rennison (Business Engagement Manager) and Gayle Leach (Curriculum Team Manager)
This optional session will provide an overview of Newcastle University Careers Service and how we have used strategy and data to embed employability and enterprise within and across the institution. This work contributed to a Gold Award in the recent Teaching Excellence Framework, and the award of Best Employability Strategy at the National Graduate Recruitment Awards in 2017. The session will include;
· The development of our University Student Employability and Enterprise Strategy, which aims to embed career and professional development learning within academic programmes
· How we have recruited and are supporting Academic Leads for Student Employability and Enterprise, each with workload allocation and a formal role description
· The development of a parallel Placements Strategy, which enables any undergraduate student to undertake a 9-12 month placement, along with other opportunities to engage with employers.
· How we are using data and technology to further strengthen our relationships with academic units, and inform the provision we offer
· Our Career Development Module, which provides 450+ students with opportunities to undertake work experience for academic credit
· Enterprise education and START UP provision, supporting students to be enterprising in the workplace and to have the confidence to start their own businesses
10:45 Registration Tea and Coffee
Aims and objectives of the Global Career Services Summit
Icebreaker and exchange of gifts
Elevator pitches by our six sponsors
Introduction to the poster exhibition and competition
12.45 What are the hot topics faced by Global Careers Services?
This session will provide feedback from delegates who completed our pre-event questionnaire, providing a picture of issues faced by Careers Services around the world.
13.15 Table Discussions: How do these hot topics resonate, and which are most relevant to your Careers Service and institution?
14.00 Tea and Coffee
14.45 What businesses require of our graduates
Employer Panel, hosted by Stephen Isherwood (Chief Executive of the Institute of Student Employers, UK), Norma Guerra Gaier and Bob Athwal.
Stephen will be joined by a panel of global recruiters to discuss their views on issues faced by recruiters, Careers Services and graduates, in the modern world of work:
Dan Black (EY)
David Ong (Maximus)
Marie Artim (Enterprise Holdings)
Dawn Carter (Intuit)
Zandile Nkhata (Investec Bank)
Graham Thompsett (Jaguar Land Rover)
15.45 Keynote Theme 1 – Trends in employer and university relationships
Following on from the employer panel, this session will provide an opportunity for delegates to discuss the issues raised in the panel, and what these mean in our institutions.
16.50 Closing remarks
This session will include information about the evening activity at the Biscuit Factory, and a preview of Day Two.
Please note: This programme is subject to change.